Why Might You Need Professional Help Understanding How to Increase Word Count in an Essay?
You spend a lot of time and effort collecting the various bit of information needed to write the perfect essay and then sit there for hours at a time trying to make sense of it all and put it together in the best way possible. The due date is almost upon you and you finally finish the task but you have forgotten that in the IB extended essay guide, it says you have to produce 4000 words and you’ve only written 3,500. Panic sets in and you start looking for ways in how to increase word count in an essay or tricks to make it seem longer from the various websites that offer filler tools or give guaranteed advice that is sure to succeed…right?
Wrong! While they may offer 1 or 2 bits of good advice, don’t be tempted to try and fool your teachers by increasing margin areas to make your essay seem longer, they will be looking through many of them and yours will stick out like a sore thumb. Fillers do have their place but not for essay writing, using unnecessary wording or fluff as it’s often referred as will only weaken the content and result in a lesser grade. There are much better tricks to make an essay longer and strengthen the content at the same time and by reading on, we will show you everything you need to get it done properly. Or we will show you how to choose words to make an essay longer.
Learning How to Extend an Essay the Wrong Way
Before getting to the good stuff, we thought you may want to see the various ways which have been tried, tested and failed by numerous students who thought there was a simple solution to making an essay longer without having to include many words. In olden times, when word processors were a new concept, some of these ways to make an essay longer may have actually worked. However, in today’s age where you will probably have to hand in an electronic copy of your essay, you can pretty much guarantee that your teacher will import it into their own template and have a grammar checker running.
So here goes, many of the formatting techniques here were primarily used to fool a page count, not word limits but your teachers will be aware of them anyway:
- Increasing margin areas from 1” to 1 ¼”
- Making fonts bigger in size
- Using double spaces after full stops
- Doubling the word “THE” (read again)!
- Using extra white space between each paragraph
- Including too many or using irrelevant quotations – no more than 10% of the total word count
- Writing complex sentences that really explains nothing to the reader
- Constantly repeating them
- Stating the obvious – “the store was not open at that moment because it was closed”
- Using fillers, padding or fluff; in other words pointless additions to a sentence that adds nothing to the meaning
How to Increase the Length of an Essay the Right Way
Unfortunately, there are no “easy fix” solutions with just a click of a mouse button ways in how to extend essay lengths but with a little preparation and doggedness on your part and our experts to help, the process is a lot easier than you may think.
Our experts have many years of experience in essay writing and over the years, have amassed a large pool of data concerning how to increase word count in an essay which includes:
- Reread through the essay prompt if you were given one or your own opening thesis statement and ensure that you have included sufficient information with enough supporting evidence so that the reader is given all the facts.
- If you feel you have included all you can, look for ways in which the introduction to your essay and the conclusion can be expanded. If like most people you wrote the introduction first, go back to it and include a more detailed breakdown of what the essay hopes to achieve, using the information you included in the main body.
- Go back to the drawing board and read through all your notes and preparation materials to ensure you didn’t leave anything out. Sometimes people are so keen to get writing they miss important information which can be used to strengthen the essay.
- Include an example that supports your evidence or explains your point. No need to use just one; find another from a reputable source and this can help to build a stronger content base.
- There is always more than one viewpoint on any given subject, include alternate views and arguments that counter argue your evidence.
- Don’t just finish one sentence or paragraph and go onto the next one without linking them together in some way. Use transitional wording like “on the other hand”, “all things considered” or “to put it another way”. This joins your writing together much more smoothly makes it a lot easier to read.
- Use quotations that may substantiate your point of view, don’t go overboard with them, however; no more than 10% of your total word count should be used and the citation does not add to this either.
- You can often strengthen your content and build up your word count by paraphrasing what a particular leading expert has said as an example. Do this only if it actually makes the content stronger and more appealing for the reader. Again, as with any quotations used, the added citation does not go towards the word count.
- Don’t think you are limited to just 5 paragraphs. These models are used only to get people used to writing and presenting facts. There really is no limit to how many body paragraphs you use so long as you have the right material to use; in other words, more than 3 pieces of evidence or questions.
- Take a break from the process and give your brain a rest. It is often when doing something less trivial that our minds recall important information or have that light bulb over the head type of inspiration.
- If all else fails, get someone else to read through it for you. They may be able to tell you where the weaker areas are which can be built on or suggest a way to develop your existing vocabulary.
Get First Hand Assistance Direct from Our Experts with Ways to Make an Essay Longer
Instead of going through the hassle of trying to come up with ways in how to increase word count in an essay and struggle to find additional content all by yourself, why not let our fully qualified and highly experienced experts help you. Our services are always available whenever you need them and our friendly support staff can answer any questions or concerns you may have with using an online writer to assist you. With many guarantees in place to ensure you get the best service available, we are positive you will be more than happy with the final result.